ASSESSMENT OF THE IMPACT OF FOREIGN MEDIA CAMPAIGN ON HIV/AIDS ERADICATION IN NIGERIA
ASSESSMENT OF THE IMPACT OF FOREIGN MEDIA CAMPAIGN ON HIV/AIDS ERADICATION IN NIGERIA\
TABLE OF CONTENT
Table of Content
Statement of the Problem
Objective of the Study
Significance of the Study
Definition of Terms
Historical Background of BBC-WST
HIV/AIDS Campaign programmes of the BBC-WST in Nigeria
Historical of Kano state
Impact of the BBC-WST on HIV/AIDS Eradication Campaign in Kano.
Problem Faci ng the BBC-WST on HIV/AIDS Eradication Campaign in Kano State.
Possible solution to the Problem
Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (Aids) virus is a dangerous disease for human being, which rapidly growing in the world. It because the most concerned human disease these day all over the world.
The virus is very harmful and is have no cure. Someone contrast it into his blood cells. But the major concern about the virus contracting to human is how to manage and live a healthy life without stigmatization.
According to the avert research unit the first case of Aids in Nigeria was identified in 1986. since then, the federal Ministry of health has been carrying out a National Hiv/Syphilis Sentinel seroprevalence survey from 1991 in every two years to date.
The 2003 survey of the federal Ministry of Health, estimated that there were three million (3,300,000) and three hundred thousand adult loving with HIV/AIDS in Nigeria, and one million nine hundred thousand (1,900,000) about 57% of these were women in the same year, the National HIV prevalence had dropped to 5% to 5.8% in 2001.
However, it fund that, state prevalence rates varied from as low as 1.2% in Osun state to as high as 12% in Cross River state. Overall of is of Nigeria’s 36 states had an HIV prevalence, over 5%. In 2005, it was estimated there were two hundred and twenty thousand (22000) death from AIDS and nine hundred and thirty thousand AIDs Orphans living in Nigeria. There has been an alarming increase in the number of HIV positive children, in recent years, 90% of whom contract the virus is from their mothers.
Currently, very few Nigerians have access to basic HIV/AIDS prevention, care support or treatment services such as Antiretroviral drugs and therapy (ARV/ART) in which provided by the National Antiretroviral programme. There are governmental and non governmental organisation (NGO`s) which provides such services to the victims of HIV/AIDS. Such as;
- National Action Committee on Aids (NACA)
- State Action Committee on Aids (saca)
- Local Action Committee on Aids (LACA)
Those are the governmental outlets for HIV/AIDS eradication Committee in Nigeria. It varies from local government to the state, up to the federal level. Among the non-governmental organisation are
- Society for Family Health (SFH)
- International Centre for Sexual Reproductive Rights (INREESE).
- United States Agency for international Development (USAID).
- Department for international Development (DFID).
- BBC World Service Trust (HIV/AIDS PROJECT) (BBC – WST).
Those are the few among others which are working towards the eradication of HIV/AIDS in Nigeria. And at the same time they are working toward the sexual reproductive health as a process of eradicating the virus contract here in Nigeria and the World in general.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
According to the avert research 80% of HIV/AIDS infectionsin Nigeria are transmitted by intersexual sex. Factors contributing to this include the lack of knowledge and information about sexual reproductive health and HIV/AIDS issues. Low level of condom use is also contributing high level of sexual transmitted infections always make it easier for the virus to be transmitted.
Blood transfusion is also responsible for about 10% of all HIV infections. There is a high demand for blood because of road accidents blood loss from surgery and child birth or anemia from malaria. Its is also observed that the reason behind the persistent high rate of aids in Nigeria is as a result of knowledge among people even with the media campaigns on how eradicate the virus like the BBC-WST campaign. This informed the need for a study to assess the impact of the BBB-WST campaign project on HIV/AIDS eradication in Nigeria.
OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
This research work assess the impact of the BBC-WST HIV/AIDS project in Nigeria and Kano particularly and at the same time.
(1) To a find out the effort of their programmes on sexual reproductive health generally.
(2) To find out the reason for level of knowledge on HIV/AIDS.
(3) To help the BBC-WST to know their efforts and which areas do they need to give more priority.
SCOPE AND LIMITATION
The BBC-WST programmes designed to cover Nigeria as a whole on sexual reproductive health. But this research work is limited to Kano state on HIV/AIDS and sexual reproductive health issues.
The research is also limited to HIV/AIDS enlightenment campaign in Kano by the BBC-WST, especially for the lack of knowledge and information which is harming the masses of Kano State.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The importance of this research work is to show the BBC-WST an assessment of their programmer, and the impact of how those programmes are on the people, especially in Kano State. It also of the benefit to the academic purposes, which for that adds to the volume of loteration in the library. The government of Kano State will have an insight on how to formulate policies to fight the HIV/AIDS in the state.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
- BBC world service Trust (BBC-WST).
- Promoting Sexual and Reproductive Health and Reduction Programme (PSRHH).
- National Action Committee on AIDS (NACA)
- State Action Committee on AIDS (SACA)
- Local Action Committee on AIDS (LACA)
- Society for Family Health (SFH).
- Department for International Development (DIFD)
- Human Immune Deficiency Virus (HIV)
- Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD)
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI)
- United States Agency for International Development
- Antiretroviral Therapy (ART)
- Antiretroviral Drugs (ARV)
HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF THE BBC WORLD SERVICE TRUST
The BBC-WST is the independent charity of the BBC which uses media to advance development worldwide. As part of one of the world’s leading media organisations, the trust is committed to improving the quality of people’s lives in developing and transmission countries trough the innovative use of media. The Trust`s work aims to:
Raise Awareness among mass and opinion former audiences affect behaviour change influence poicy and transfer skills and knowledge.
The Trust is organized into the following areas:
The Media Development Group work to strengthen free and independent media to hold governments to account, to help ensure inclusiveness in society and to provides a channel through which people from all sections of society including the poor, disadvantaged or marginalized have a voice.
It does this through a number of strategies and tools including charge management media reconstruction and training solutions. The Development Communications Group, develops innovative media solutions to support key development priorities such as health education and governance. In education the Trust works to develop and deliver basic educational programming to inform audiences about their rights and choices and to raise awareness of development at local, regional and global levels.
In health, the trust works to influence reductions in mortality and mobility specially to reduce child mortality, improve material health and combat HIV/AIDS malaria and other diseases.
In all its work, the trust has a strong commitment to delivering impact and cutting edge media solutions to development challenges. The research and Learning (R&L) Group focuses on four key activities.
- Provide Trust projects with audience and market insights to guide project strategies.
- Conducting qualitative and quantitative research studies to capture the impact of all Trust media interventions.
- Building capacity in audience research skills and methodology on projects in country.
- Documenting and disseminating the learning from the Trust`s project internally and to the wider development community. The Trust is funded by a wide range of donors, private foundations and other development partners. The Trust is a global operation working in over 40 countries, primarily in sub-saharan Africa, Asia and the middle East and is comprised of approximately 600 staff worldwide of whom more than 90% staff work in and are from the developing countries in which it works. The Trust`s major operations are based in Afghanistan, Angola Bangladesh, Burma/Thailand, Cambodia, India, Iraq, Nigeria Russian, Serbia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Tanzania and Ukraine. As the BBC`s international charity, the Trust has access to the BBC World service`s 149 million regular listeners and draws on the BBC`s values and resources. The Trust has won numerous awards from Local and International development and media organisations.
HIV/AIDS CAMPAIGN PROGRAMMES OF BBC-WST
The promoting sexual and reproductive health and HIV/AIDS reduction programme campaign (PSRHH) is a collaborative effort between the Nigerian government and department for international development (DFID-UK) United Kingdom and the United States Agency for international Development (USAID) to inform people, especially in the developing nations.
It is to be achieved in conjunction with other related organisations such as, society for family Health (SPH), National Action Committee on Aids (NACA) and other media organisations. The target audience of HIV/AIDS project are young Nigerians aged between fifteen to twenty four (15-24) years. The avert research that at these age the young people are more poor and valuable to adopt good or bad behaviour on their lives.
BBC-WST came-up with the varieties of radio and television programmes so that the information could be passed through infotainment i.e. (information through the use of entertainment). Those programmes are on the air in the Northern and Southern States in nigeria, including Kano state.
- Store Name: project topics
- Vendor: ProWriters
15 ikpa road
- No ratings found yet!
- THE ROLE OF NUTRITION IN THE WELL-BEING OF UNDERGRADUATES
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF AUTOMATED EMPLOYMENT SYSTEM