Design and implementation of an automated tourism system
Tourism means people traveling for fun. It includes such activities as sightseeing and camping. People who travel for fun are called “tourists”. Places where many tourists stay are called “resorts”. Places that people go to for tourism are called tourist destinations.
The World Tourism rankings are compiled by the United Nations World Tourism Organization as part of their World Tourism Barometer publication, which is released three times throughout the year. In the publication, UN regions and sub-regions are ranked by the number of international visitor arrivals, by the revenue generated by inbound tourism, and by the expenditures of outbound travelers.
Africa is fast becoming known as a tourist destination with countries like Kenya, Tanzania, Egypt and South Africa making waves and creating a new era in tourism. For countries like Kenya, tourism contributes a very substantial amount to national revenue every year. Certain tourist attractions are popular because there is a special feeling it gives to people who visit such places and this is outside the fact that places like this hold a very rich heritage and recognition. There are a few places in Africa countries that are worth mentioning when it comes to Africa’s popular tourist destinations. Some of these beautiful places are located in Akwa Ibom state in Nigeria these places includes: Le Meridien Ibom Golf Resort in Uyo L.G.A, Ibom Plaza in Uyo L.G.A, Ibeno Beach in Ibeno L.G.A., Lord Lugard’s Residence in Ikot Abasi L.G.A. etc. Most of these places in Akwa Ibom state are worth going to as gives a special feeling to people.
It is essential to place these beautiful tourist destinations in Akwa Ibom State on the internet for tourist from different places to be aware of these places as to visit them in their convenience.
1.1 Statement Of The Problem
Efforts have been made to find out the major drawback in tourism, the observations made are as follows:
- Lack of multimedia content for tourist all over the world to view: with the placing of images and text of different tourist sites online. This problem will be annihilated.
- Lack of online portal for tourist to view the different tourist sites in Akwa Ibom State. This is replaced by deploying the website to an online server where tourist can view the activities of Akwa Ibom state.
- Lack of employment of GIS to view the tourist site.
Due to the inefficiency of the current system, a system is required to overcome those problems but attempting to design a system to eliminate such weakness it is necessary to analyze the system using structural methodology.
1.2 Aim And Objectives
The aim of this research is to develop an automated tourism system with the following objectives:
- To design an automated tourism system.
- To design a computer system that helps in these activities and easy the delay hitherto encountered in the old dispensation manual system.
- To design an online system that will enable tourist from a far country to view the list of tourist sites in Akwa Ibom.
- To design a system that will have a long lasting impact in Akwa Ibom State ministry of tourism.
1.3 Significance Of The Project
The findings of this research are significant in the following ways.
- It helps in promoting the activities of tourism.
- It is useful to other Scholars in the field of automated tourism.
- It increases the ICT knowledge base of tourism as a whole.
- Loss and decay of manual files at the location of storage is greatly annihilated.
1.4 Scope Of Study