THE RELEVANCE OF STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT IN A COMPETITIVE BANKING ENVIRONMENT
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title page i
Table of contents
1.1 Background of the study
1.2 Purpose of the study
1.3 Statement of the problem
1.4 Significance of the study
1.5 Delimitation of the study
1.6 Definition of the term
Review of Related literature
History and development of banking in Nigeria
2.1 The Nigeria banking environment
- Definition of the term
Definition of strategic management
The need for planning
Relevance of strategic management in bank
Formulation of strategic in banks
Constraints of United Bank for African Plc
Effectiveness of strategic planning
3.0 Research Methodology
3.1 Primary source
3.2 Secondary source
3.3 Reliability and validity
3.5 Sample size
3.6 Design of questionnaire
3.7 Administering questionnaire
3.8 Statistical technique and instruments
4.0 Interpretation and presentation of data analysis
4.2 Analysis of data through sample percentage
4.3 Testing of hypothesis using chi-squares
4.4 Interpretation of result.
1.0 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The history of UBA can be traced to British and French Limited, which originated from BANOGE NATIONAL four Le Commerce etc industries (established in 1832).
Early in 1949, Messer E.E Hunger Buler and C. H. Baker were seconded from Banyae National Pour le Commerce etc industries (established in 1932).
Early in 1949, Messer E. E Hunger Buler and C. H. Baker were seconded from Banyae National pours i.e. commerce etc industries (BNCL) to Lagos, where they were assigned to make initial arrangement for the setting up of the British and French Bank.
In May 1949, the British and French Bank operation in Nigeria at broad street, Lagos which today house apart of Kingsway store complex of February 23rd 1961, its registered office was at 127129 board street Lagos. Mr. F De lajugie was the first general manager with its establishment UBA became the first bank among the international bank operating in Nigeria at the time to be over #4 million. The following United Bank for Africa annual report 1980 pagel were:
The British and French bank
Bank nationals del lavaso of study
Monte, de paschi di siena of study
Bankers trust of new YorkUSA
Amstardem Rotherdown Bank at Holland
The bank has grown from its initial one office
Structure in 1961 to 2001 as early 1995, the banks paid up capital has risen to #120 million
1.1 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
- To reduce uncertainty in decision making as far as possible by anticipating and planning for future events.
- to make management move in a systematic way and form a long term perspective, about concerns and short term decisions.
- To ensure that the external environment and trends in it are monitored for potential opportunities and threats.
- To provide a mechanism for systematic appraisal of the internal strengths and weakness of the organization.
- To provide a framework against which raw ideals for business development can be checked.
- To element in learning and motivation, anabling individuals to appreciate the role gauge than progress and evaluate the exact to which their effort and energy is being constructively spent.
- To organization need a yardsticks against which success or lack of it can be measured (if doesn’t know where its going or won’t know its arrival)
- To help management to predict organization behaviour to some extent.